General Maintenance Worker
Company: State of Massachusetts
Posted on: June 8, 2021
The Recovery from Addictions Program (RAP) operated by the
Department of Mental Health (DMH) is seeking an experienced
professional who performs general maintenance and repair of
equipment and buildings to include painting, carpentry, plumbing,
masonry, and grounds maintenance. The incumbent will assist various
trades personnel and performs assigned work orders and recurring
Duties and Responsibilities (these duties are a general summary
and not all-inclusive):
- Performs a variety of semi-skilled troubleshooting,
maintenance, modification, and repair work as assigned.
- Maintains RAP courtyards, including weeding/gardening,
installing, or removing equipment or furnishings.
- Inspects and troubleshoots various equipment and systems.
- Completes painting, caulking, and minor electrical, plumbing,
and masonry repairs.
- Operates motor vehicles to transport equipment and personnel
safely to work sites.
- Stores equipment and maintains a clean and safe environment for
patients and staff.
- Collaborates with supervisor, employees, other departments,
vendors, contractors as needed to coordinate work activities,
review the status of work, exchange information, and resolve
- Assembles barricades during emergencies and traffic control
- Removes, repairs, replaces fans, screens, and windows to
provide a proper environment for seasonal climate conditions.
- Communicates with employees/clients on as needed basis,
appropriate to age, cultural, or psychosocial needs, by referring
or directing individuals to the proper personnel/agency.
- Working knowledge of the use, operation, care, and maintenance
of handheld power tools, pliers, hammers, screwdrivers, brushes,
wrenches, and power spray guns.
- Ability to climb and work from ladders, scaffolding, and
staging at some distance above grounds.
- Capacity to read, write, speak, and comprehend English to
communicate effectively with a diverse group of employees,
supervisors, and visitors.
- Skilled in the ability to follow oral and written
- Talent for establishing and maintaining harmonious working
relationships and deal tactfully with others.
- Relevant experience in groundskeeping or general
- Demonstrated language skills that allow for two-way
communication, effective client service, coordination with other
members of the client care team.
- Skilled in adhering to safe work practices and procedures and
work independently in the absence of supervision.
- Ability to work independently as part of a team, adaptively,
and exercise good judgment/problem-solving.
- Given the population served bilingual or multilingual
- Ability to lift/carry objects up to 25 lbs, with or without an
About the Recovery from Addictions Program (RAP):
The Department of Mental Health (DMH) in collaboration with the
Department of Public Health (DPH) Bureau of Substance Addiction
Services operates a statewide Recovery from Addictions Program
(RAP) for individuals civilly committed by the courts for substance
use treatment for up to 90 days ("Section 35 commitment").
The program model will provide acute detoxification and early
clinical stabilization services as we help clients develop
community-based linkages to outpatient supports and substance use
disorder treatment providers. The individuals treated within this
program will be linked upon discharge to a range of services within
the DPH continuum of care for substance use conditions. RAP
provides administrative, medical, clinical, and non-clinical
services. Its mission to provide quality client-centered care and
DMH Mission Statement:
The Department of Mental Health assures and provides access to
services and supports to meet the mental health needs of
individuals of all ages, enabling them to live, work, and
participate in their communities. The Department establishes
standards to ensure effective and culturally competent care to
promote recovery. The Department sets policy, promotes
self-determination, protects human rights and supports mental
health training and research.
As an employee of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, you are
offered a great career opportunity influencing a wide spectrum of
services to the diverse populations we serve - but it's more than a
paycheck. The State's total compensation package features an
outstanding set of employee benefits which you should consider
towards your overall compensation, including:
- 75% state-paid medical insurance premium.
- Reasonable Dental and Vision Plans
- Flexible Spending Account and Dependent Care Assistance
- Low cost basic and optional life insurance
- Retirement Savings: State Employees' Pension and a Deferred
Compensation 457(b) plan
- 12 paid holidays per year and competitive Sick, Vacation and
- Tuition benefit for employee and spouse at state colleges and
- Short-Term Disability and Extended Illness program
- Incentive-based Wellness Programs
- Professional Development and Continuing Education
- Qualified Employer for Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness
A criminal background check will be completed on the recommended
candidate as required by the regulations set forth by the Executive
Office of Health and Human Services prior to the candidate being
hired. For more information, please visit http://www.mass.gov/hhs/cori
Education, licensure, and certifications will be verified in
accordance with the Human Resources Division's Hiring
Education and license/certification information provided by the
selected candidate(s) is subject to the Massachusetts Public
Records Law and may be published on the Commonwealth's website.
For questions regarding this requisition, please contact
Executive Office of Health and Human Services Human Resources at
1-800- 510-4122 Ext. #2
First consideration will be given to those applicants that apply
within the first 14 days.
Minimum Entrance Requirements: None.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Females,
minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly
encouraged to apply.
Keywords: State of Massachusetts, Taunton , General Maintenance Worker, Other , Taunton, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!